Published on December 14, 2016 | By |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- (0 Rating)
- 2 +2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for cooking fish cakes
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 pound firm white fish, chopped into ¼” cubes (black fish, tile fish, striped bass, monkfish, halibut, grouper)
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional, you may add more salt if not using cheese)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley (sub 1 tablespoon dried)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Horseradish Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I like Primal Mayo)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons horseradish (increase for more heat)
- Salt to taste
- lemon wedges for garnish
- 1. Cut fish into ¼” cubes. Set aside.
- 2. In a small mixing bowl, beat two eggs. Set aside.
- 3. Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 4. Saute onion, garlic and celery for 4-5 minutes.
- 5. While onion mixture is sauteing, prepare horseradish mayo by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and thoroughly combining. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 6. Back to the onion mixture: Add wine and lemon juice; simmer for 3 more minutes. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- 7. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the same skillet. Cook fish for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl with onion mixture.
- 8. Add to the fish mixture: ¾ cup breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine
- 9. Form a handful of the mixture into a ball. If it doesn’t hold its shape, then add the remaining ¼ cup breadcrumbs to the mixture.
- 10. To make the fish cakes: Warm olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Form balls of the fish mixture then squash to form a patty. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- 11. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and horseradish mayo.
Holistic health coach and self-taught cook with a focus on nutrient-dense, whole food that is gluten-free, refined sugar-free and mostly dairy-free.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.