Beautiful grab and go salad! Make 5 at a time and they’ll stay fresh for the week. They have plenty of practical uses and are a healthier option than most portable foods. Take them to school, work, or picnics or have them handy for quick at-home lunches.
This will make one meal size salad in a one quart jar or 2 side salads in either one quart-size jar or two pint size jars.
- Quart sized jars make 1 meal-size salad or 2 side salads
- Pint size jars make 1 side salad
- Tear, don’t cut lettuce, as the cut edges will turn brown
- Be sure to start out with a dry jar to ensure the lettuce stays crisp
To make different salad combos, follow these quidelines.
Layer ingredients from bottom to top:
- Hearty ingredients that’ll soak up and marinate in the dressing – onions, beans, mushrooms, radishes, peppers, carrots, beets
- Beans & less hearty ingredients that you don’t want touching the dressing – cucumbers, snap peas,
- Protein – shrimp, chicken, hard boiled egg
- Leafy greens – keep far away from dressing.
- nuts, seeds, dried fruit, herbs, croutons