Switch up the roasted veggies as you’d like. Use just butternut squash if that’s what you have, or throw in other veggies like turnips or rutabagas.
Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup
Published on August 20, 2015 | By |1 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (4.8 /5)
- (2 Rating)
- 1 medium/large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½” cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped into ½” cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into ¼” slices (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into ½” chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons + few glugs olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 6 cups or more of broth
- 4 cups of finely chopped kale, stems removed and discarded (1 medium-size bunch)
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15 oz can Great Northern white beans, drained
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (reduce heat by 25°F if using convection oven). Toss sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and butternut squash in 2 tablespoons olive oil and sea salt. Spread veggies on to a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer, then roast on the middle rack of the oven until vegetables are brown and tender, about 45 minutes. After the first 20 minutes of cooking, stir the vegetables.
- 2. While the veggies are roasting, proceed with the next step: In a soup pot over medium heat, sautee the onions in a few glugs of olive oil, until translucent, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook one minute more, stirring a few times so the garlic doesn’t stick.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes and lower the heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 4. When vegetables are done roasting, use a spatula to scrape them off the baking sheet. Place half of the vegetables in a blender or food processor with a cup or two of broth and blend.
- 5. Transfer vegetable puree to your soup pot. Add the remaining broth, chopped kale, beans, roasted vegetables, thyme and bay leaf to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Add more broth to thin soup if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Servings : 6
- Recipe Type : Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Soups & Stews, Vegetables, Vegetarian
Rate this recipe
2 People Rated This Recipe
- (4.8 / 5)
One Response to Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Holistic health coach and self-taught cook with a focus on nutrient-dense, whole food that is gluten-free, refined sugar-free and mostly dairy-free.Read more about this chef..
Made this on Sunday. It was terrific!