Southern Black Skillet Cornbread
Published on March 14, 2017 | By |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 8 servings or 24 mini muffins
- (0 /5)
- (0 Rating)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (sub bacon drippings)
- 2 cups stoneground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 ½ cups yogurt or buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (sub unsalted butter)
- 1. Put the 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a 9” or 10” cast iron skillet and put the skillet in the oven. Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees with the skillet inside (if you don’t have an iron skillet, you can use an uncovered Dutch oven or a metal cake pan).
- 2. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients (cornmeal, baking soda, salt, sugar) in a large bowl.
- 3. In another bowl beat the egg and yogurt, until combined, then mix that into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir in 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil.
- 4. When the oven is hot, take out the skillet (carefully, as the handle will be hot). Add the cornbread batter and make sure it is evenly distributed in the skillet.
- 5. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- 6. Let the bread rest for 10-30 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving
Holistic health coach and self-taught cook with a focus on nutrient-dense, whole food that is gluten-free, refined sugar-free and mostly dairy-free.Read more about this chef..