When shaved thinly, vegetables that you might not normally enjoy raw present new and wonderful possibilities!
Shaved Summer Squash with Arugula, Pecorino and Almonds
Published on August 18, 2015 | By |0 Comments
- (0 /5)
- (0 Rating)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 pound small zucchini, preferably a mix of green and yellow, no more than 5" long
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls arugula (about 3 ounces)
- Chunk pecorino romano or ricotta salata cheese
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast almonds on a baking sheet until golden brown and fragrant, 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. Trim ends of zucchini. With a vegetable peeler or mandolin, shave the zucchini thinly lengthwise. Discard the first and last slices of each squash, which are mostly skin. Put zucchini ribbons in a large bowl.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt to taste. Add dressing to shaved zucchini and toss with your hands to coat it evenly. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the zucchini to soften.
- 4. Add the arugula to the zucchini. With a vegetable peeler, shave about 3 ounces of cheese, or as much as you like, into the bowl. Add several grinds of fresh black pepper, then toss gently with your hands. Transfer the salad to a serving platter, leaving any watery juices behind. Top with the toasted almonds. Serve immediately.
Holistic health coach and self-taught cook with a focus on nutrient-dense, whole food that is gluten-free, refined sugar-free and mostly dairy-free.Read more about this chef..