Zuppa Toscana (Slow Cooker)
Published on December 7, 2017 | By |
- (4.5 /5)
- (1 Rating)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb loose Italian Sausage (pork, turkey or chicken)
- 1 ½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks (about 4 med/lg potatoes)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel
- 3-4 cups chopped fresh kale, (stems removed & discarded) (about 1 bunch)
- ½-1 cup full fat coconut milk, coconut cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet over medium/ high heat, sauté onion, garlic, and sausage in olive oil until just about cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. If using pork sausage, drain any grease. Transfer the sausage mixture to your slow cooker.
- 2. Add to slow cooker: potatoes, basil, fennel seeds, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Set your slow cooker to cook on low for 4 hours. At the end of 4 hours, add in kale, cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir in coconut milk (or cream), crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Holistic health coach and self-taught cook with a focus on nutrient-dense, whole food that is gluten-free, refined sugar-free and mostly dairy-free.Read more about this chef..